Staff management is a series of strategies and processes organisations and their HR managers use to successfully recruit, retain, and manage employees. It applies to contract staff, who are hired for a specific task for a particular time, and direct hires, who are full-time staff on the company’s payroll.
Staff management activities include the following:
- Attracting, selecting, and onboarding staff. Effective employee management starts with the recruitment process. Strategically attracting, selecting, and onboarding staff sets the tone for how they will experience their time at your company. So it’s essential to get it right!
- Off-boarding procedures. If an employee exits your company, a specific process must be implemented and followed.
- Retaining employees involves implementing retainment practices that encourage employees to remain at your company. It can include anything from introducing them to their colleagues to building a positive company culture.
- Employee appraisal. Staff management encompasses employees’ appraisal processes and any necessary promotions.
- Training. Employees will likely require training and development during their time with your company.